return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Leiocephalus personatus ssp

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Spiny/Fence Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: jasonw at Thu Apr 28 10:17:12 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jasonw ]  

Animal Description:
Colorful, beautiful, and active, Jewelled Curly-tail Lizards can make entertaining pets. Their interesting antics and lovely appearances are quite pleasing both to their keepers and people who observe these lizards in the wild.

Jewelled Curly-tail Lizards are adaptable and can be found in habitats ranging from open forests to sandy beach areas, though they are usually not seen above altitudes of 1,850 feet. When they are disturbed or frightened, they will whip their tails about or curl them up. Jewelled Curly-tail Lizards are terrestrial and many males are territorial, so males should not be kept together. They feed on insects, and are usually active during the day. Jewelled Curly-tail Lizards tend to be quick and can be hard to hold, but are often entertaining to watch because of their high activity level.

The Jewelled Curly-tail Lizard can grow to about ten inches (25 centimeters) in length. These lovely lizards have reddish tails and their bodies tend to be brightly colored with red, black, blue, yellow, green, or orange shades. They have a mostly black background color dorsally, and they have a black mask. Coloration is variable and no two lizards are exactly the same. The scales over the backs of Jewelled Curly-tail Lizards are large, keeled, and overlapping. A small dorsal crest is present. The tails of these lizards are usually longer than the lizard's total body length.

Jewelled Curly-Tail Lizards are also called Masked Curly-tail Lizards. They are native to northern areas of Haiti. There are several subspecies of Jewelled Curly-tail Lizard. The nominant subspecies was first noted in 1862 by Cope.

Specific Care Information: Relative Care Ease: Relatively Easy
Jewelled Curly-tail Lizards thrive under dryer conditions, though medium humidity environments can also be appropriate. A 20-gallon-long terrarium with a deep substrate will work well for one or two lizards. The top layers of the substrate should be dry, and the bottom layer should be slightly damp. Full spectrum UV lighting is recommended. Ambient daytimeTemperatures should be about 85 degrees Fahrenheit with a basking spot about 95 degrees. At night the temperature should be in the low to mid 70s. It is best not to keep two males in the same enclosure. Jewelled Curly-tail Lizards should be fed a variety of insects. Some may accept fruit in small quantities.

Breeding and Propagation: Relative Breeding Ease: Uncertain
Jewelled Curly-tail Lizards are oviparous.

All this info was found on the first lik on the URL I posted. I believe it answers all of your questions but the breeding part but seeing as I just skimed through it I could have missed more.
My reptile research and collection
My reptile research and collection

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Liocephalus - Pseudosilence, Wed Apr 27 02:31:59 2005