return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: 7serpents thanks for web sites

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Plated Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: 7serpents at Wed May 4 15:28:56 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by 7serpents ]  

Yes they love to Swim in the sand. Undertank heater is good, check range of sand in that area with a digital thermometer (Radio Shack type with indoor/outdoor probe, stick the probe in sand to check heat retained in that area. Also they do like a basking light. Since you have the undertank heater you can use a lower wattage bulb say 30watt to 50 watt. But you must check temperature ranges as not to Cook them. As far as UVB lighting I suggest a 5.0 ZooMed or Exo Terra; and you may not need it the entire length of the tank. Could go with 15"/24" depend on length. Although they spend most of their time "swimming" in the sand UVB lighting is benifical. Remmber UVB light tubes & fixtures put out heat also. Temperature is an Absolute must to control with this species!

The "Pond" is a good source to drink and soak/sandy areas are also effected by rain season which come into play later with breeding activities which I will send you more detailed information on later. Usually eaten early mourning and/or late evening/dusk. They hide most of the time but during a yr or two of acclimation they will handfeed and respond to interaction.

You will want to check into "Nekton Rep: Nekton-Gelb (contains Aps. 8 & Carotenic Acie Ethyl Ester-enhances yellow coloration), Nekton-Rep Color (Canthaxanthin & Apocartinal which enhances overall coloration of lizards), and definately buy Nekton-E (which I have used for 10 yrs/enhances fertility in females/especially egglayers, there are several Nekton-Rep Suppliments which enhance specific ranges of Color. I have always purchased from www.herpsupplies.com for the absolute best in husbandry products at fair prices-they cover everything!
From Worming/books (detailed from professional breeders to general hobbist)/and too much more for me to go on so check them out. *Special note when you can buy the book "Reptiles and Amphibians of Madagascar.........." which costs around $67.oo but is loaded with information form German Herpetologist.

You are starting off very well, take time to watch the details of temperature/they only eat insects (will go into detail of Spring breeding season insects to feed later with Nekton-Rep for stimulation), Sand with one corner of tank you should moisten, Small structure under basking area, hides, and pure extasy of Enjoyment of these Plated Lizards!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Papaya and Crickets - ChaoticCoyote, Thu May 26 07:30:10 2005
<< Previous topic:  I need all the info I can get on caring for my plated lizard. Please - moko, Mon May 2 17:47:58 2005