return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

New mom to baby redfoot - have questions!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Red & Yellow Foot Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: dannygirl8 at Sun May 29 22:47:42 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by dannygirl8 ]  

Just purchased a 3 mos old redfoot this weekend. He/She is so cute. I did a lot of research on them back in November, but we decided to wait until the weather was warmer before starting with one. I set up his home with a box that is about 3'L x 18"W x 6" D. I put cypress mulch in it. Also have a glass pie plate with water in it. Fed him collard greens, fruit like melon, and turtle show. I put a 75w basking light on one end. I didn't get the UVB bulb yet as I am looking for a small one and all I can find is 24". I dusted his food with Calcium w/D3 that we give our bearded dragon. I am trying to find a book on them, but all they seem to have is tortoise books that apply to all of them. I am beginning to search the internet for information. I do have some questions and would appreciate any advice you guys might have.

1. How often do they eat? I've read some conflicting things. Some say every other day (which doesn't seem enough) and some say he will eat a couple of times a day. He ate this morning and then again this afternoon.
2. What should I feed him. So far (from what I've read), I have given him collard greens, turtle chow and some fruit (which he loved). What is best for them? Does he need any live food. We have crickets that I feed our bearded dragon.
3. The man that I bought him from said he should stay indoors until he gets much bigger (a couple of years). We want to make him a nice area in the yard. Can we make one and enclose the top with wire mesh or something that would protect him and during the day could we let him be outside in the sun? I live in the New Orleans Metro area, so it can get quite hot during the day 95degrees or so.

Please let me know what you think as far as his set up is. Also where I could purchase any books. Sorry for the long message. Thanks , Diane

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: New mom to baby redfoot - have questions! - egyptiandan, Mon May 30 11:39:02 2005