return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Making Educational Pond Attractive to Painted Turtles

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Painted Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: chrysemys at Tue Jul 5 01:55:55 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by chrysemys ]  

Alright its hard to picture but I will try my best. First thing I would do is to go around where you know are native painted populations. Look at the habitat they are in. After checking out a few populations see what they all had in common. Try to copy that as best you can. About the vegatation. I would try to get some kind of submerged vegatation in the pond. Be careful with this though. Always use native plants. Collect some plants from other ponds and see how they do in your pond. Then you need to see if there is ample food in you pond. You can not just dump turtles in a pond and expect them to stay. You have to have a balanced pond. You need a well established population of fish, frogs, and insects. Food will determine whether they stay put or leave. I would also try to supply more basking areas. Maybe put a few dead trees around the edges of the pond leading into the water. These will be prime basking locations. About the nesting area. I suppose you could till up some land a lay some sand or loose soil but I dont think it would be worth it. Reptiles are picky about where they lay. When they look for a nesting spot they will dig several test holes testing soil. Also they will lay where a certain amount of sunlight will hit the nest and well out of flooding water levels. I would not worry about the nesting area. If you got the food, and cover they should stick around.
Hope this helps,
Chris
-----
0.1 Red Eared Slider, 1.0 Common Snapper, 1.0 Bearded Dragon and a 55gal Native Fish Tank with a LM Bass and Pleco.
I use to have a collection of Leopard Geckos that I bred, but have sold them.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Making Educational Pond Attractive to Painted Turtles - Solaris16, Mon Jul 4 19:46:12 2005