return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Are plastic stoarge bins okay for mud/musk turtles? And what about basking?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mud & Musk Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHRatz at Tue Jul 26 10:40:28 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHRatz ]  

I have only one yellow mud, he's been living in a clear Rubbermaid under-the-bed storage box since 1996 or 1997. I went with that because he doesn't like deep water, it's lightweight easy to clean & it has more floor space for him than a glass tank does.
I tried a deeper tank for him once, he seemed stressed out all the time, he just doesn't seem to like swimming & in the deeper tank he wasn't able to stand & just simply poke his nares out of the water to get air. That's what he likes to do.
The deeper tank didn't last long because he seemed to really not like it at all.

As for basking he doesn't like to be out of water very much. When I do take him out he seems stressed but when he gets back into the water he looks so relieved.
His water is shallow, I've always been afraid that if he had a stack of rocks to climb onto like my painted has, he might fall over backwards then drown so what I did instead was I put thick brick like rocks under the tank on one end & slanted it, with more of a slant in one corner. He can walk into that corner to get out of the water if he wants to.
He has a hide box in the "tank" & it's an upside down 3 gallon Rubbermaid storage box with 2 doorways cut into it on opposite sides. He spends about 95% of his time in his hide box.
He comes out when he wants food.
Now that he's basically full grown I've noticed that when he wants to go to the deeper end of the tank he'll drag his hide box with him. When he first started doing that I thought he didn't mean to do it so I'd move it back to it's usual spot, half an hour later I'd find he'd moved again, apparently to the spot where he wants it.
I just took that to mean that like our parrot who puts her toys where she wants them, he's doing the same with his hide box so I stopped moving it for him.
He's done fine in the plastic storage box for years, I can't see any reason to move him to glass when I can't find a glass tank that's as roomy as this storage box is.
-----
PHRatz

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Are plastic stoarge bins okay for mud/musk turtles? And what about basking? - morrison720, Tue Jul 26 08:29:38 2005