return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Filtration and Live Plant Advice?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Painted Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: jhworley at Tue Aug 2 23:47:01 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jhworley ]  

I'm looking for some advice on filtration and live plants.

I originally bought a submersible sponge and carbon air filter for the tank, and let me tell you, it has been doing a wonderful job. The only problem is that when I needed to change the filter cartridge, my pet store stopped carrying them... so in a matter of two weeks, I had bought a filter and now can't get any replacement cartridges for it locally. Anyways, I'm looking for a new filter or filters, depending on recommendations. Its a 20 gallon tank with about 15 gallons of water in it. I was wondering if I should maybe upgrade to a power filter, or stick with a sponge filter and think about adding an under gravel filter. I definately want something with carbon because I want to keep absorbing any odor. I currently haven't had any problems with odor, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Now, as far as live plants, I bought some at the pet store. He said they were local and wide spread through most of the country. I'm not sure what they are called, but I bought two of them. Unfortunately after a few days of laying on top of stems that were floating on top of the water, he decided to rip them to shreds. At first he wasn't eating them, he would swim to the bottom near the base of the plant, and chew off a stem and let it float to the top of the water, he has continued to do this and now all I have is a stump of vegetation on one plant, and one stem on the other. Last night I saw him chew on a few of the leaves of one that he had chopped down, but I don't think he was eating out of hunger, more just for pleasure and to annoy me so I'd yell at him. I only bought the plants to kind of fill up the empty tank, and now it just looks like crap, thanks to the current resident of the tank. Are there any plants that he might not munch on, or are all turtles like mine and have a hatred for well decorated tanks? The other thing I thought of is just buying a big piece of driftwood from the store to fill up the entire tank... that would give him places to hide, and still make the tank look interesting.

Bring on the advice,
Jordan

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Filtration and Live Plant Advice? - PHRatz, Wed Aug 3 15:23:59 2005