return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

My rosy boa won't eat

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rosy Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: dgeralsh at Thu Aug 4 15:46:38 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by dgeralsh ]  

I’ve had this rosy boa for about two and a half months (see my May 20th post). He’s about 15 inches long and fairly fat. After the initial week of adjustment he has eaten very healthy, a big fuzzy about every 3 to 4 days. He would consistently strike, wrap up, and eat the mouse within a minute of it being in the cage. About to weeks ago he struck and wrapped up his fuzzy but then just left it dead in the sand, never eating it. Every two or three days I’d put a fuzzy in and the same thing would happen. I even tried a pinkie. Last monday (the 1st) I decided to try a hopper. He struck at the hopper several times but I’m unsure if he was really trying. He didn’t draw blood or even make the mouse squeak when he hit and it just ran away, my snake couldn’t (or didn’t want to) catch it to wrap it. I left it in the cage for a couple of hours and when I got back it was dead and ignored in the corner. Last night I tried another fuzzy. When I put the mouse directly in front of my rosy he simply flicked it with his tongue and went to his usual hiding place. The fuzzy was still alive several hours later.

Some info: My rosy hasn’t yet shed since I’ve had him even though he eats (ate) like a pig, I’m not sure if that is significant.
I keep him in a 10 gallon tank with an inch and a half of sand, an under cage heater (on one half), a little rock lizard cave, a piece of dried grape vine, and a little clean water. The funny thing is he never hides in the cage or under the sand but prefers to coil up crammed between the glass and the side of the cage. Nothing about the setup has changed since I got him.
The only difference I can tell is that it has been a little warmer here during the day, in the late 80’s, and his cage is near the window, but the room does not get overly hot.

What can I do? Should I start to worry? Is this normal? My son is beginning to stress out.
Thanks, Dave

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: My rosy boa won't eat - dgeralsh, Sat Aug 6 19:02:30 2005