return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Feeding baby kings,

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Elapidae ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Carmichael at Sun Sep 4 05:19:37 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Carmichael ]  

You mention that you have had "had king cobras for years". Does this mean that you don't have them any more? If not, why? Just curious. Force feeding will usually result in extremely stressed snakes and with kings, it is even more pronounced due to their already high strung behavior. Typically, you will need to get them started on snakes/live snakes. Having spoken to some who have a knack for getting kings on to rodents, scenting becomes a very important technique....along with patience and diligence. The key right now is to allow the kings to settle into their new home and get them feeding on natural prey asap. I have scented a live snake with rodents after a few initial snake-only meals. Eventually, and, in time, they can be weaned on to a rodent only diet....but not all kings will switch to this type of feeding regimen. If you had reservations about providing snakes to your kings, you may have considered something else. Good luck though.

Rob (PS: I am making a lot of assumptions with this post in providing advice; a) you are the proper age, b) you have the proper experience level, c) you keep your own antivenin, d) you have the proper security measures and facilities)

Rob Carmichael, Curator
The Wildlife Discovery Center
Lake Forest, IL

>>I have bought 3 baby kings at the daytona show. I have had older kings for years that where problem free snake feeders. This is my second year in a row trying to keep baby kings. All 3 have refused baby corns. They are all very healthy looking and aggressive. After the aggravation of trying to find snakes for bigger kings , I decided that I would like to get these guys on rodents. Any suggestions on feeding these guys? Should I start force feeding them pinks? I do not want to loose these guys. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
-----
Rob Carmichael, Curator
The Wildlife Discovery Center at Elawa Farm
Lake Forest, IL

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Feeding baby kings, - Kaouthia, Sun Sep 4 09:53:37 2005

<< Previous Message:  Feeding baby kings, - kaouthia, Sat Sep 3 23:48:51 2005