return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

ugh -- redfoot respiratory....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Red & Yellow Foot Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Zeb at Sat Sep 10 16:52:02 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Zeb ]  

:angry: I'm quite upset about this. I've never had one of my herps get sick...outside from adopting something that was already ill, and it dying afterwards.

I traded in a pair of Cunningham's skinks, and ended up buying this female red foot tortoise with part of that money. ( Here she is helping my wife scrapbook. )

So, I set her up in a 90 gallon tank ( pretty tall ) which I had laying around -- bed-a-beast mixed with larger husk fibers, a ramp dish, some hiding spots, etc...

Well, I've been working alot. I worked 22 hours straight on Thursday-Friday, got to sleep for 2 hours, then went back for another 5. When I came home I saw she had her head out of her shell...not like her at all.

Her eyes were swollen shut...I swabbed them open, watched her. 5 hours later, she had bubbles coming out of her nose. *sigh...respiratory infection *

It was caused, of course, by my lack of care --- her cage just wasn't warm enough, nor humid, because of my absense. ( and this wouldn't be the first time I've had to be focused on work for a while )

So I brought her to the vet this morning -- injected her with Baytil, and will do so for a total of 5 doses, once every 5 days.

Already, she is holding her head inside -- not laying around --- and no runny nose/mucus for well over 12 hours.

So I should hope things will recover well.

Let this be a lesson -- check temperatures often, even if you've been keeping reptiles for a while. I got lazy, didn't notice her decline....and now I could lose her.

Anyone else have this problem before? I'd like to hear your experience....

-Zeb

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Good Luck For You and your little tort - 805Ringo, Tue Sep 13 18:03:28 2005