return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Two more-one that I never thought of before

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomoid ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: the_keeper_73 at Mon Sep 19 12:10:00 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by the_keeper_73 ]  

I don't know if there would be any difference between the Elapids producing toxic saliva vs. Crotalids, but I'll share my experience.

As cautious as I am to mention this, I do have a venomoid WDB that I use for educational purposes. This is primarily for liability purposes. I treat it no different than any of my other hots because I want to send the right message to the audience and myself, and I still wouldn't want to experience a bite from him. Every month or two, I will put a live mouse or young rat in the cage with him, let him bite it, and then remove and observe. I do this as an extra safety precaution because of all the stories I've heard about regeneration. These mice/rats have all lived and aside from occasional licking of their wound or limping from a hind quarter bite, there have been no signs of any sort of envenomation or long term bacterial infections. I think this goes to show that, at least in this one individual, that there is no toxic saliva present.

I don't know if rodents would have more resistance to a deep innoculation of bacteria from a fang, but I would guess that there is not alot along the lines of bacterial worries. I figure any problems would have alot to do with where they get you, how they get you, and when they last brushed their teeth. I've always considered snake mouths rather clean considering that they don't chew food or lick their own butts.

Has anyone here actually received a dry bite or bite from a venomoid (if your willing to admit it)? If so, what was done to treat it and what was the outcome?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Two more-one that I never thought of before - Ryan Shackleton, Mon Sep 19 23:19:44 2005
>> Next Message:  Has anyone here actually received a dry bite or bite from a venomoid (if yo - robin123, Wed Sep 21 17:34:17 2005

<< Previous Message:  Two more-one that I never thought of before - Ryan Shackleton, Mon Sep 19 09:28:42 2005