at Mon Sep 19 08:58:52 2005 [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Carmichael ]
This is indeed a good question. Just because a snake is a "venomoid", doesn't mean it can't be dangerous. You have many risks involved including:
1) botched procedure in which part of the gland/duct is still intact; even minute amounts of venom can be fatal
2) residual venom in shaft of fang; although my guess is that the degradation effect of a non working duct will cause whatever venom that is left in the fang "shaft" to become ineffective, it could still be a potential threat.
3) regeneration: it can and DOES happen.....don't assume that just because it was done "professionally" that regeneration cannot happen; there's documented evidence to prove otherwise.
4) infection: can you imagine the damage that would be done if a large gaboon sunk a fang into your arm (even if it was "harmless"? As Al said, this could leave to MANY problems.
So, aside from the philosophical/moral problems of venomoids (I will stay out of that one!), there are real threats to owners keeping venomoids who think they have a nice little lap "dog" that they can show off to their buddies.
>>I know many people here are opposed to venomoids, but I was curious if there are any medical concerns over a bite from a venomoid. Despite what I have heard/read about the risk of infection from non-venomous snake bites, I have been bitten by many non-venomous snakes and aside from the occasional broken tooth and one punctured vessel in my hand, I have never had any complications or incidents of infection. I suppose this question would be just the same asking about dry bites. Are there greater risks of complications from having an inch long fang bury in your flesh as opposed to the smaller teeth of non-venomous snakes (tree boas excluded )?
Rob Carmichael, Curator
The Wildlife Discovery Center at Elawa Farm
Lake Forest, IL
[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]