return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
pool banner - $50 year

I need help understanding wild neonate Rosy Boa behavior

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rosy Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: freediver at Fri Sep 23 18:40:17 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by freediver ]  

Over the past two seasons I've done a lot of trial and error, and learned a lot about when where and how to find rosy boas in my area (just east of San Diego) What I don't know much about is the where when and how for finding neonate rosys. I suspect that right now is the right time of year to look, and since this is "final call" for rosys until spring, I'd love some advice to avoid wasting the opportunity.

How does the behavior of neonate rosys at this time of year, differ from that of adult rosys in the spring? My best guesses (please tell me if this is wrong) are that:
1) Neonate rosys would love to do some eating before they settle down for brumation.
2) Since they are so small they can only eat baby mice.
3) They are a bit clueless and may spend more time crawling around in the open sniffing for food then an adult rosy would.
4) They need to conserve the moisture in their bodies
5) They are less tolerant of excessive heat or cold than adults

What am I missing? Where am I inaccurate?

So I’ve reasoned that they would spend most of their time in holes and deep in rock piles where the rodent nests are, and not be found on the roads or on the surface where only the adult mice are. Also, I’m guessing that they would be more likely to come out in the morning when the humidity is 70%, than at sundown or a few hours after when the humidity is only 35%.

So I’ve been hiking around in my rosy spots in the early morning as things are starting to warm up, and finding lots of nothing. I don’t know what the bag limit on “nothing” is, but I must be getting close to the max. Either there’s a flaw in my assumptions or my reasoning, or maybe finding neonate rosys is simply unlikely no matter what I do. What the story? What are prime conditions for finding neonate rosys, or even adult rosys at this time of year?

Daytime? Nighttime?
Before/After sundown?
Before/After Sunrise?
>65 degrees? >70 degrees? < 85 degrees?
Humidity?
On the road? On the desert floor?
Two weeks ago? Two weeks from now?

The Rosy boa mojo that I’ve developed, which works well for adults in the spring, is simply not working now. What am I missing?

Thanks for any enlightenment that you can give.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: I need help understanding wild neonate Rosy Boa behavior - VICtort, Tue Sep 27 22:11:42 2005