return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: The Baby Russian Saga continued............

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Russian & Greek Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: EJ at Sat Oct 1 03:17:36 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by EJ ]  

With the info you provided, I doubt even more that these hatchlings have been produced as you say but that is my opinion... nothing more.

You keyed onto one major point... folks like us. The people I'm talking about are backyard breeders who want nothing to do with 'folks like us'. I'll be willing to bet your partner knows locals of the type I'm talking about. They really don't care about the money and it would blow you away at the prices they sell their animals.

>>Just to follow up on what I was told and my partner was told when he bought a boatload of these babies in Daytona was that the ex owner of Burgundy Reptiles had got in these 5-6" Russians and oxytocin'd all the females. He said there were literally hundreds of these babies available at the Daytona show. Some had laid, some hadn't. As for this minimum size rule, my partner had informed me (since he's more knowledgeable than me) and owns Russians and bred Russians, that he's unpacked imported Russian torts in the past only to sometimes see 3 eggs in with a female. Russian are packed in their own individual cubical for those of you who don't know. All of these females were in the 5-6" range. Does this mean that a 5-6" female won't lay viable eggs? I'm not an expert on Russians, but I'd like to see some proof other than some field notes that say otherwise.
>>
>>I'm still sticking to the idea that this whole issue on the baby Russian explosion has to be true, and not just because my partner was told this first hand from a wholesaler who purchased babies directly from the gentleman who performed this. I'll still also have to disagree with Ed that noway would folks like us on this forum sell hundreds of babies (at the same time of year, this year) to wholesalers for less than $50.00ea. Whoever could have orchestrated such a thing should be the next Pres.of the U.S. They were selling just fine for $150.00 each already til this happened! The CH babies had alot going for them til this explosion happened.
>>
>>I'm not saying I'm right, but I'd love to see proof otherwise. I'm always willing to give credit where credit is due........I do appreciate all the ideas and input. No matter what the gospel truth is on this issue, it is interesting either way....
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Barry
>>
>>P.S. I'll stick with my more problematic phayrei thank you...he he..
>>
>>
-----
Ed @ Tortoise Keepers
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: The Baby Russian Saga continued............ - BarryL, Sat Oct 1 10:47:40 2005

<< Previous Message:  The Baby Russian Saga continued............ - BarryL, Sat Oct 1 02:51:19 2005 image in post