return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: baby musk and rock safety?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mud & Musk Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: glennbartley at Sat Dec 17 18:48:17 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by glennbartley ]  

I have kept a prize winning Common Musk Turtle for about 11 or 12 years now. I have never had a problem with gravel and neither should you so long as it is too big for the turtle to ingest. Larger rock on the tank bottom should also be ok but only as long as they are secure and cannot be toppled by the turtle. If they fall off one another onto the turtle, or if they form crevices into which the turtle can crawl, the turtle could possiblybecome wedged between or under them not allowing it to reach the surface for air.

As far as filtration goes, be very careful about current with hatchling musk turtles. A weak current from a filter is best. You don't want the turtle not being able to reach the surface because of the current, it might drown. Since the tank is that big, which is a great size for so small a turtle, there will probably be an area with less current that the turtle will discover is easiest regarding where to reach the surface.

As to those temps, a basking spot of up to 90 degrees Fahrenheit is ok, 85 is acceptable. My Common Musk Turtle rarely basks. In my experience, a water temperature of 79 is actually on the high side for them. Mine have preferred temperatures that were in the mid to low seventies. It even does well with temps in the hight 60's in the winter - it continues to feed and remains active - just at a bit slower pace. I find higher temps, those anything above 75 degrees seem to stress my Musk Turtle if the higher temperature is maintained for more than a couple of days.

Best of luck with it, hatchlings can sometimes be a bit difficult but are well worth the effort you put into them. If it makes it to a few months old and grows well in that time, you will be able to expect a turtle that will live to up to 50 years of age. Definitely a long term commitment - longer than most marriages.

Best regards,
Glenn B

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: baby musk and rock safety? - glennbartley, Sat Dec 17 18:53:32 2005
>> Next Message:  good info, thanks - mayday, Mon Dec 19 19:10:08 2005

<< Previous Message:  RE: baby musk and rock safety? - turtledude03, Tue Oct 18 15:42:54 2005