return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Hoser......Mmmmm

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Taxonomy Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: caparu at Thu Oct 20 12:26:58 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by caparu ]  

I just had a very quick look through these forums after a long absence, actually because I caught sight of a new ssp. of Chondropython.

What I have just spent the best part of the afternoon has astounded me. I think my first question has to be "is R.Hoser for real?" The "paper" on python taxonomy has left be baffled. This is actually published? All this drivvle about DNA analysis...or lack thereof....would anyone put their names to this?? Has ANYONE accepted any of this work? I must admit I found the tracyae scrub etymology a little crass but this hardly scrapes the surface when we take a look at the honours to the Hoser family!

I am honestly lost for words. New species, ssp., genera.....often on no more than size and colour? I had a dilemma with a gecko I found in the Colombian Amazon several years back, that I was certain was a new species. Time went on, work load increased and it has fallen to the backburner somewhat. However, having just read this paper I think I might spend half an hour writing a paper (uh-hum) to describe it. I mean it looks like a similar species from Southeastern Peru / Boloivia but it's not in it's known distribution range and it's a slighlty different colour, so it must be a new species right?....And I've done some DNA analysis (OK, I haven't but what the hell) that proves it's different!

Anyway, I think if anything it's best to take these things with a pinch of salt. However, I appreciate the concerns of Wuster et al. who must have grave fears that these names actually enter common usage!

Time for a cup of tea and some meditation!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Bothrochilus boa and scientific names - Kimbits, Mon Oct 24 13:52:11 2005
<< Previous topic:  Explain the meaning of morphology and Morphological - NPotter, Wed Oct 19 16:12:42 2005