return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Okay Kerby how about..........

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to California Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Sat Oct 22 23:27:06 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

I do understand, you can say, "its possible that this or that" and I am sure this or that can happen. But that really is silly of you Kerby, heres why;

Of stinking course theres a percentage of wild snakes that are deformed and die, that percentage is very very small. As in to small to be of concern. Heck Kerby you COULD be bitten in the throat by an albino cerb thats two headed(and gravid). There is a possibility of that too. Isn't there. So arguing that, this and that is possible in nature is very weak, as we are not in nature. These snakes are in the hands of people who may have NO experience at all. OH, they do have reptile experience, they had a gecko once(for a week)

The point here is reptiles are extotherms, and respond directly to their enviornmental conditions. In nature, they have control over their choosing from a range of conditions.(sir, that is what they do, make choices)(heck, thats about all they do)

In captivity they do not do what they are designed to do
(to choose), they are told(forced) to do what the keeper allows. If the keeper does not allow suitable conditions, then the snake has no choice but to fail. If nature forces them out of a certain range, they will fail also. Yes, that happens in nature, the cause is the same, the snake cannot make the right choices. IT dies.

Why does a captive baby snake not feed? Thats a good question and far more important to the discussion for the dead kingsnake, then trying to relate it to nature. They do not feed because they cannot feed. Thats a real possibility you know. That is, if conditions are suboptimal, they cannot digest food, hence force feeding will only hasten death. There are two common simple physical causes of this, improper temps and improper H2O balance(dehydrated), both hinder to stop the ability to digest food. So why would a snake feed if it cannot digest the food. They try real hard not to. Then of course there's behavioral stresses that can cause this, a individual snake sitting in a barren cage with no where to hide, this can indeed cause enough stress in some individuals to cause death. In a cage with another snake(or a bearded dragon) that causes undue stress, again this can cause a lack of feeding responce. These are for healthy snakes.

Then the snake/s can be sick. This too, hinders a feeding response. The stuff from the previous paragraph can cause the snake to be sick. Again, causing lack of feeding. Hmmmm theres a 500 percent chance that the cause is in the above paragraphs, then anything to do with wild snakes.

All these are very probable causes for the failure of the snake in this thread. As well as the many many that have posted "my snake won't eat" in the short time I have been on this forum. I am sure, you have see literally hundreds of these posts. Do you really think this is related to what wild snakes do? I don't think so Kerby. I know you think all or 99% of these posts are keeper error. Sir, do I have your agreement? Its not about the wild snakes, in any way, form or fashion.

Now to why you and John are arguing this point, its not about what happen to this snake or the other "my snake won't eat" posts, its about a small percentage of your and Johns snakes that are reluctant to feed. Am I right again? So you both rationalize that its normal for snakes, that way you are not responsible. Hmmmmmmmm I am right again. Both of you are responsible. No matter how good you are.

Now for the punchline. Are you two so darn good at this, that you believe your husbandry is totally accurate and spot on? Are you that egotistical to believe its not your fault? Of course its your fault and when it happens to me, its my fault. Blaming the snake is very very weak, don't you think?

Kerby, I feel I can say this to you, because I think your a man. A man of your word, and man who tries very very hard to do the right thing. Am I right again? So for it to be something thats the snakes fault is maybe 1 in 10,000. So if thats the percentage that it happens to you, then OK, your right. But if its more then that, its most likely, something your missing in your husbandry or a simple mistake you made somewhere along the line. I am sure, its very rare with you.

But can you compare your experience and ability with those who post "my snake won't eat"??????? Sir, I am thinking its not the snakes fault. Am I right again?

Before you guys jump my bones, I do have an advantage, I have been doing this a very long time, in that time, I indeed got to make all the wonderful mistakes you guys are experiencing now. I got to make them, I got to have giant fights with myself(nobody else would fight with me) and I finally got to learn from it and go on to the next level of mistakes. Then to the next, then to the next. Then somewhere along the line you learn, its not about being right, its merely finding new ways to be wrong. hahahahahahahahahaha.

I really think your doing a heck of a job. But you really ought to get over, its the snakes fault thing. Its yours, no matter how good your are. Thanks for fighting with me. FR

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  So where does one find a...... - Kerby..., Sat Oct 22 23:58:32 2005

<< Previous Message:  Okay Frank, how about.......... - Kerby..., Sat Oct 22 22:31:59 2005