return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

ACF Eggbound?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Clawed Frogs/Surinam Toads ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: trish713 at Thu Nov 3 12:54:30 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by trish713 ]  

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and this is fairly long, sorry. I kinda searched thru past threads to see if anything might resemble what just happened to one of my African Clawed Frogs, but didn't really spy anything.

I've had 2 female ACFs for 2 years. Within the last month or so, one of them went thru a couple of periods of being really bloated in the stomach. I had read about dropsy, but this didn't seem to fit, as it was just confined to the stomach area (and it's not like she'd get huge, just looked like she ate way too much or something). After a while, she'd "deflate". She continued to eat, swim and do everything "froggy" throughout this time. Tank temperature can fluctuate just a little, but usually never goes over 75 degrees, and there's been no previous problems. I make a point to not overfeed. She appeared to have no other signs of health issues.

She had another bloating incident 2 weeks ago. But, she again recovered. Yesterday, I fed them, she was fine. About 4 hours later, she was dead. As awful as it sounds, I kinda did my own "autopsy" on her, as I was worried that maybe swallowed gravel was the culprit, and I didn't want it to happen to my other frog. When I opened her up, she was literally running over with eggs! At first I wasn't sure if that's what they were, then I looked on some websites about dissection and discovered indeed they were. Her whole stomach cavity was filled with them. I found, what I think were, her stomach and intestines.......nothing in there. So, can frogs get eggbound? Or is it more likely something else killed her, and she just happened to be producing eggs at the same time? Do frogs produce eggs without a male? (and I'm positive my other frog is female) Although I do understand that some amphibians can "change sex". What happens when a frog produces eggs....will they go ahead and lay them, will the body reabsorb them, etc? Any info would be helpful, as I don't want my other frog to have the same problems if I can try and prevent it.

Thanks so much

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereACF Eggbound? - trish713, Thu Nov 3 12:54:30 2005

>> Next topic:  Proper ACF Diet and Tips Feeding - colorfulcritters, Fri Nov 11 18:15:34 2005
<< Previous topic:  African Dwarf Frog head out of the water - Blondie, Tue Oct 25 10:14:56 2005