return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Suggestions for Feeding ACF's

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Clawed Frogs/Surinam Toads ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: gonexenopus at Sun Dec 25 16:29:53 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by gonexenopus ]  

i have recieved an email not too long ago from a woman who currently owns a 26 year old female ACF. she has kept this one frog in a 10 gallon tank and has only ever fed it the food supplied by "Grow A Frog", which is a pelleted floating food. hmmmm 26 years on a pelleted food.....?

also, i have recieved an email in the past from a woman who swears by frozen food. she stated that is has cured her algae problem from reduced waste and phosphorous (?) in the water. her frogs are closing in on 5 years and are healthy and happy in a 55 gallon tank.

in the wild ACF feed off of dead and dying organic material such as plants, small crayfish and bugs. frozen bloodworms, beefheart, krill, glassworms, plankton, etc. are deff. not in the diet of a wild ACF

some pelleted diets, such as OmegaOne, have all whole fish ingredients. for example, OmegaOne kelp pellets main ingredients are whole kelp, spirulina, whole salmon, black cod, and whole herring. this way your frogs get the veggie and meat part of their diet. it is also rich in vitimens and calcium. there are some decent pelleted diets out there, you just need to find them. OmegaOne is the best, where as Wardleys and Tetra is pretty much junk.

i have seen many "wild caught" herps before and for the most part they are malnourished and riddled with parasites. i think the ones maintained in a captive environment are a thousand times more healthy (if kept PROPERLY) then their wild cousins. there is no right or wrong way to feed an animal as long as it is thriving in your care.

i feed my ACF a variety of pelleted foods all mixed together for variety. they also recieve a live treat once a month of guppies, ghost shrimp or earthworms. they also love freeze dried tubifex worms and crickets. not to mention a frozen treat of silversides, beefheart or krill once a month as well.

i also have kept African DWARF frogs with no problems on pelleted foods. HBH frog and tad bites being one of them. But also sinking shrimp pellets and OmegaOne kelp pellets. I used a terra cotta feeding dish so the food would not get mixed up in the gravel and they could find it with ease. i used a turkey baster to squirt the food into the dish. All the frogs knew the turkey baster ment "food" and they would all eat from the nose of the baster. it was so much fun. they also did enjoy a treat of frozen brine shrimp and glassworms. but they always ate the pellets for me. i kept 10 ADF in a 10 gallon planted tank for years.

all of my information is on my website for African Clawed Frogs and African Dwarf Frogs. The easiest way to tell them apart is dwarf frogs have webbed front hands where clawed frogs do not. hope some of this info helps.

Rachel

In Depth Information on Common Aquatic Frogs

-----
4.3 African Clawed Frog
3.3 Calfornia Newt
0.1 Leucistic Texas Ratsnake
1.2 Veiled Chameleon
0.1 Albino Cranwells Horned Frog
0.1 Paddle Tail Newt
0.1 Green Iguana
0.5.0 Indonesian Floating Frog

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Suggestions for Feeding ACF's - Colorfulcritters, Sun Dec 11 19:44:17 2005