return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: My two cents on the venomoid subject. and snakes in general

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomoid ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: leucistic_cobra at Sat Dec 3 21:50:39 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by leucistic_cobra ]  

the initial argument was that a venomoid buyer will have a better housing for the snake than a someone purchasing an unaltered snake. That simple statement was the reason the topic got shifted here; however, I think it's an interesting perspective that i would love to hear more about from the dealers point of view.

I do not blame every dealer and i do not think all of them treat their animals in the ways described, but it is a known fact that every little step taken in the direction to minimize the cost of business will reflect in maximum profit.

A point made on the last reply regarding venomoid discussion is correct. Unfortunately, many neutral venomoid discussion end up in a heated argument w/o solutions. A lot of times are the dealers themselves the source of these opinions and the ones that are so against venomoids in general. In other words, the minute you label yourself as someone promoting or selling venomoids, you are opening the doors for lots of heated arguments. The irony is that there are some reputable dealers that do sell venomoids, but the excuse mostly use is that they are simply doing it for a friend. they are not embracing the sale of venomoids nor they are promoting the business, but rather helping someone sell their collection or inventory by adding the animals to their tables.

This was the case in today's Hamburg show. I saw two tables selling venomoids openly and when confronted regarding the origin of the snakes, the answer was: "they are not mine. i'm selling them for someone i know." Now, my question is why are these individuals not questioned in the same manner as an openly venomoid keeper? even more interesting are the dealers that woudl rather not have a venomoid for sale on their table because of the bad rep it could give their business, but they sure are willing to sell high end venomous snakes knowing these animals will be devenomized. The irony behind the business of venomoids...

I do believe that venomoids are not the mainstream of the reptile community but they are becoming more widely available and accepted by more people. I just hope that buyers will take every precaution in purchasing these animals because there are those in the business that unfortunately do not care about quality but quantity and with venomoids you have no room for mistakes.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: My two cents on the venomoid subject. and snakes in general - jojay327, Sat Dec 3 19:41:55 2005