return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Morelia spilota taxonomy revised

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Taxonomy Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: richardwells at Thu Dec 29 17:55:33 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by richardwells ]  

Hi Stefano

I haven't seen the paper you refer to...but if some of the conclusions you mention are in it, then I guess I won't be holding my breath for it to appear.

I still maintain the view that Morelia spilota (sensu Cogger et al) is a species complex, not just a polytypic species.

I believe "spilota" actually comprises the following:

Morelia variegata - This is the northern member of the complex that extends across the Kimberleys in WA, through the far north of the Northern Territory, and across northern Queensland to include parts of western Cape York Peninsula. This species has at least two isolates that may warrant recognition as different subspecies.

Morelia bredli - This is a distinct species isolated in the southern Northern Territory (Central Australia).

Morelia imbricata - This is the species found in southern Western Australia and some offshore islands of South Australia. There are a number of isolated populations on islands that in my opinion warrant separate recognition as different subspecies.

Morelia metcalfei - This species is found throughout the temperate zone of the inland of south-eastern Australia, ranging from south-western Queensland, into north-eastern South Australia, western New South Wales, and a small area of northwestern Victoria.

Morelia mcdowelli - This species ranges from north-eastern New South Wales, to north-eastern Queensland, with at least three distinct populations that warrant recognition as separate subspecies.

Morelia cheynei - found in north-eastern Queensland with at least two distinct populations that warrant recognition as separate subspecies.

Morelia spilota – A distinct species with two separate populations that warrant recognition as different subspecies. A zone of sympatry occurs between Morelia metcalfei and Morelia spilota near Cowra, NSW and both populations directly overlap here, without any hybridization occurring in the wild.

“Morelia” carinata – Despite bredli appearing to have the closest affinities with carinata, I believe that this species is so divergent from the spilota complex that it really should be placed in a separate monotypic genus. I revised Morelia about 3 years ago and erected a new genus for carinata, but the paper along with dozens of others now remains unpublished because it became obvious that the fat controllers of Australian reptile taxonomy already know everything…and I had to change residences and all my work was placed into storage boxes.

Oh, and by the way…
*I think Morelia riversleighensis should revert to Montypythonoides riversleighensis Smith & Plane, 1985 until more fossil material comes to light.
*And, further…the viridus complex should remain in Chondropython !
*And, I still consider that oenpelliensis should be placed within its own genus (Nyctophilopython) and the amethisthina complex retained within the genus Australiasis.

Finally, a note on Ray Hoser’s new Morelia names – Firstly, I consider that all the new names erected by Ray Hoser in the genus Morelia are valid under the Code of Zoological Nomenclature. Further, I believe they all represent real biological entities. However, I am at variance with the belief that they are all different species as follows:

* I believe that Ray Hoser is correct in identifying the Morelia population from the Nuyts Archipelago, in South Australia as distinctive. However, I would include Ray Hoser’s Morelia macburniei only as a subspecies of imbricata – Thus, Morelia imbricata macburniei would probably be more appropriate for this population at this time.

* I believe that Ray Hoser is again correct in identifying the Morelia population from the Middleback and Flinder’s Ranges of South Australia as distinctive. However, I would include Ray Hoser’s Morelia mippughae only as a subspecies of metcalfei – Thus, Morelia metcalfei mippughae would probably be more appropriate for this population for the present. The Flinders Morelia are definitely very distinctive, so Ray may ultimately be proven correct that they are a full species. More data please Ray, before they become extinct.

* Morelia harrisoni - This is another valid Hoser taxon in my opinion, whose closest relative appears to be Morelia mcdowelli. It seems to me to be a good biological species that ranges from far north-eastern Cape York Peninsula in Queensland, through Southern New Guinea and into Southern Irian Jaya. Further, it appears to be a polytypic species in its own right as well, with a number of separate populations warranting recognition as different subspecies.

So, there you have it Stefano…the above is what I still believe to be the case within the genus Morelia. Do let us know when you see the new Morelia paper so that I can have a look at it.

Best Regards from

Richard Wells

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Etymology of Wells and Wellington Names - richardwells, Thu Dec 29 18:03:01 2005
<< Previous topic:  Latin roots of Acanthosaura? - Herptiles_net, Sun Dec 18 09:04:14 2005