return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Morelia spilota taxonomy revised

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Taxonomy Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: johnscanlon at Fri Jan 27 01:02:29 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by johnscanlon ]  

Hi Richard,

I'd like to follow your reasoning on the point where you say:

>>Oh, and by the way…
>>*I think Morelia riversleighensis should revert to Montypythonoides riversleighensis Smith & Plane, 1985 until more fossil material comes to light.

I understand that this was in a purely evidence-free, opinion-based context, but as the guy who sunk Montypythonoides (with regret) I'm eager to find evidence that anyone has actually read my paper (ref. below... I may have cited it before). I had quite a lot of fossil material compared to the original description, and found evidence for close relationships with Morelia in the broad sense, but not fully resolved (due to character conflict) with respect to the amethistina, oenpelliensis and spilota/viridis groups.

Of course you do not recognise Morelia in that sense, so my phylogenetic result combined with your taxonomy for extant forms (where the putative nearest relatives of riversleighensis belong to four or five of your genera) would justify the opinion you gave.

On the other hand, I've always been puzzled by your preference for tiny little genera (which ignore a lot of interesting phylogenetic structure at slightly less trivial levels, and make 'species-complex' nearly always a redundant category).

We're still finding lots more python bones in Riversleigh deposits back to late Oligocene, and all pre-Pliocene specimens so far seem consistent with the single species. Various additional bits of skull (e.g. prefrontal, pterygoid, supratemporal) are very like amethistina, and I expect we'll sooner or later get near-complete skulls and nail its relationships down precisely. And you and I will presumably still disagree about what to call it.

Ref: SCANLON, J.D., 2001: 12:20. Montypythonoides: the Miocene snake Morelia riversleighensis (Smith & Plane, 1985) and the geographical origin of pythons. Memoirs of the Association of Australasian Palaeontologists 25, 1-35.

Cheers!
-----
John D. Scanlon
Riversleigh Fossil Centre
Outback at Isa
Mount Isa, Queensland, Australia
riversleigh@outbackatisa.com.au

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Morelia spilota taxonomy revised - richardwells, Thu Dec 29 17:55:33 2005