return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

I return, bearing good tidings!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Uroplatus Geckos ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: jmorris at Wed Jan 4 23:21:40 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jmorris ]  

My male henk, Kurt, has finally been successfully introduced into my large vivarium where my two females, Amanda and Meggan, have been growing out for the past several months. I have tried a few other times to introduce them, but Kurt was always too aggressive for my comfort. this time, I just gritted my teeth, and watched as things unfolded.

He sat still, for about 5 minutes, simply tasting the air and surfaces around him. then he started the tail vibrations. He first visually noticed one of the females, Amanda, after about 10 minutes. He watched her tentatively for a while, then began a slow approach. She fled equally slowly, and they traversed nearly the entire 4 foot cage length before he spotted the other female, Meggan, and made a mad dash for her, lunging when he was about 3" away, but missing at the last moment. He rested for a moment, as she fled, and before he could take up chase, Amanda, the girl he had originally been following, actually approached him! He positioned herself directly beside/below him, and waited. His first attempt at mating with her turned out a little silly, as he turned himself to face the opposite direction as her, and ended up falling as he clumsily tried to turn back around while holding on to her. He climbed back up the branches, while she waited patiently for him. He came up form the right direction this time, and within minutes they were successfully copulating. He seemed fairly gentle, with only a few soft bites to the elbow at first... much different than the Beardy and Monitor mating I've seen. There copulation lasted for about 5 minutes, then she struggled free, and they both went peacefully there own ways.

Let's hope it was a successful copulation, and that I have my first eggs soon!

Jared
-----
With great power, comes great responsibility.
-Ben Parker

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  good luck - flamedcrestie, Fri Jan 6 19:57:25 2006