return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: seeing wildlife

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mud & Musk Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHRatz at Sun Jan 22 11:41:05 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHRatz ]  

>> As for folks not realizing that they have turtles living near them I can relate to that too. I once found a promising bog in Virginia that I just knew had bog turtles in it. I asked the owner if I could walk around in his cow pasture and look for them. He said sure but he had lived there for thirty years and never seen a turtle before.
>>I found two bog turtles in a half an hour! On my next trip I found five in one hour. But the owner had never seen one in thirty years.

OMG!! BOG turtles! How cool that must've been for you to see those!
I think a lot of people simply do not notice what is going on around them. I don't know if it's because they're too busy to notice, they don't care, or what. I always notice the wildlife around me, reptilian or not.
A former neighbor kept bird feeders out in her yard. One day as we spoke for a minute I heard a grackle making one of their sounds, the sound I like to hear, I mentioned something about that, she didn't have any idea what I was talking about.
I thought how odd, you feed the birds yet you don't notice them?
If they don't even know what birds they are feeding, they aren't going to know what reptiles are around them.

On the migrating ones we saw, I got to thinking about that after I mentioned it, so I looked in the field guide & found that the Texas river cooter does live in the region we were passing through. I'll bet that's what they were.
-----
PHRatz

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: seeing wildlife---bog turtles - mayday, Sun Jan 22 12:37:22 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: seeing wildlife - mayday, Sat Jan 21 17:00:16 2006