return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: maybe I have big keys...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Candoia (Ground) Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: RoswellBoa at Fri Oct 6 16:09:20 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by RoswellBoa ]  

'hanging on for dear life' seems to be common to c.carinata, my adult female and juveniles I handled in the past both displayed this behavior. For such a small snake they have a startling grip!
I suppose some will remain snappy their whole lives but all I have worked with settled down once they became used to my scent. I would reccomend using a small snake hook to pull the boa out of the tank, as my female is a very aggressive feeder and will strike at moving objects passing 20 feet away when she is hungry. As for the bite, they do have a lot of sharp teeth and a big head, but fortunately stay small, my female is 10 years old and just over 3', I believe the maximum size is around 4'. I have never been bitten by my female, but I imagine it would be no worse than a defensive strike by a large colubrid (adult corn/rat/gopher, etc.) As well as the gripping, she has always remained frightened of fast/excessive movement and anything getting near her head. If I am careless and touch any part of her head or neck, she will immediately give me the death grip, jerk her head back near or under her coils, and occasionally retaliates by peeing all over me. My advise would be constant, daily handiling (use a glove on one hand and let the boa strike at that for a while, it may soon realise how futile its actions are and start to regard you as just another harmless, moving tree). As far as food size, ground boas are some of the most primitive snakes, their jaws and skull are not as flexible as most pythons and boas. I feed my female small rat pups; she is certainly capable of killing and consuming a larger rodent but I feel that the smaller rats are easier for her to handle. When she consumed larger rats, she would get about to the shoulder, and then spit it out, reposition the food and try again, sometimes it took her more than 10 trys to get it right. So now I just give her 3 small rat pups once a week instead of 1 larger rodent. Good luck!
-----
Heather J. Martin
---------------------------
1 Solomon island ground boa, female
1 Green iguana, male
1 Ball python, gender unknown
1 Green anaconda, juvenile, gender unknown
1 Burmese python, 9', female

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: maybe I have big keys... - RoswellBoa, Fri Oct 6 16:21:54 2006

<< Previous Message:  maybe I have big keys... - Clydesdale, Thu Jan 26 11:03:03 2006