return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Columbian RI???? Help please!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: bsaffron at Fri Feb 3 01:34:00 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by bsaffron ]  

Lord knows I hate RIs. This is what I do that seems successful.

First-One thing to keep in mind- BCs are notorious for getting RIs. And once they get them it almost seems like no matter what you do they dont go away. (the bigger they are the more difficult to conquer) However Im convinced that when a larger boa has been treated and all other precautions are taken to ensure a healthy habitat, sometimes you will still hear a little weezing for what may seem the rest of there life but as long as theyre not opening their mouth to breath or bubbling at the mouth theyll probably be fine. My biggest female has like a permenant weezing. My vet said that sometimes when theyve had an RI it scars them a little and they may never fully get over it but it doesnt mean theyre real sick. My girl weezes occasionaly but doesnt open her mouth to breath or blow bubbles. I treated her with Baytril and Im not realy sure if it did anything but she seems ok for the most part.

1) If you are absolutely broke then the best thing you can do is turn up the heat. If you were planning on breeding this girl then all I can say is whats more important to you?...a dead snake or a live snake that could breed another day? I dont mean to scare you. But Ive lost a few snakes in the past to RIs when I was first starting out. Sometimes you learn the hard way right? Well thats me for some reason.
Anyway....
I would set he/she ambient temp in the mid 80s and the hot spot in the mid 90s. maybe even a tad higher. just dont cook it with an ambient temp in the 90s.

2)If you can spare $50 for a vet visit GOOOO!!! Its worth it. If you can find a vet who has more experience with reptiles (even better if they like reptiles-lol) try them. After inspection the vet may prescribe you an antibiotic like Baytril or something. Im not a huge advocate of the stuff because Ive had mixed results. I purchased my first bottle through my vet and she gave me some syringes to inject it. If youre not comfortable with needls you might try the oraly admitted version. I hope your snake aint too big.......have someone help you get that crap down its throat.
The vet can show you what proportion to give your boa.

The thing Ive noticed about Baytril is that I dont have much success if I: 1) administer it late in the RI and 2)lack of more heat while recovering. I have had good success when I administer it at the first sign of popping in the nostrils and keeping the animal warm. Ive lost a few ball pythons under the less effective conditions but never a boa. However I know people who have had boas die from RIs. Its a gamble depending when you start treatment and how.

Dont worry friend. Im trying to make you think your boas going to die. If you can scrounge $80 ($50 for visit and $30-40 for baytril) or so then take it to the vet. Most of all keep it realy warm. Too warm could stress it more. I made that mistake once too. I hope this helps you man. Good luck. Im going to bed.

Heres my big girl. ***the snake duh! I dont even know the chick.

Brendan
-----
And God said to Noah,"Let there be plenty of room for the serpents".
--not doctrine--

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Looks like Head shots are the in thing....... - bsaffron, Fri Feb 3 00:53:38 2006
<< Previous topic:  Money Shots - texhiss, Fri Feb 3 00:10:57 2006