return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Basilisk . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Garter Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Nah, that seems about right.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomous Reptiles ]

Posted by: Matt Harris at Thu Mar 16 09:29:12 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Matt Harris ]  

...to answer the first part, yeah, on average, they're all the same pressure...50 psi..50pounds of force exerted per square inch of area.

The anaconda's total force exerted is 9000lbs...thats not the pressure. Keep in mind, the force exerted is never uniform, and it results in differential pressures being exerted all over different points on the duck. Basically, the internal forces pressing outward on the duck will balance the pressure exerted by the snake.

90 psi seems reasonable, if you think of being squeezed by a python or boa wrapped on your arm---I've had one close call with a burmese during a feeding mishap--it really squeezed my arm and caused blood to squirt out through the teeth punctures--so they do squeeze pretty tight!

Anyone who has been SCUBA diving and experienced a mask squueze at deep depths, knows what that feels like--similar to a snake squeezing. I had a mask squeeze at 120ft once, which ruptured vessels in my eyes...it was somewhat painful, but since water pressure doubles every 33ft...at ~120 you are at 4.5x atmospheric( 120/33= 3.6 1 for the air pressure at sea level), so 4.5 x 14.7psi = 66psi....so I would say, YES, that 90 psi of pressure is in the ball park. Again, pressure isn't exerted...its the result of a FORCE being exerted.

LOL, I was going to suggest on the thread below, that perhaps our next topic for dicussion be "DENSITY".

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  First capture of the year - RobertPreston, Thu Mar 16 08:41:15 2006
<< Previous topic:  Florida Bushmasters - Senior, Wed Mar 15 09:44:52 2006