return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Basilisk . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Garter Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: PSI question...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomous Reptiles ]

Posted by: LarryF at Thu Mar 16 15:08:55 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by LarryF ]  

>>Would 50 pounds per square inch be the same as 100 pounds per two square inches and 200 pounds per four square inches?

Exactly. Divide your forces in Pounds by the area in Sqaure Inches and you get 50 Pounds per Square Inch (psi) in all 3 cases.

>>It would make sense that it would but the difference between PSI, force, and pressure mentioned before had me thinking this all sounds too much like pressure.

Just to be clear, I was discussing exactly two quantities in the earlier thread: 1) Force 2) Pressure

PIS is not a third quantity, it is the English unit of pressure.

>>The recent giant snake special mentioned the anaconda was exherting 90 pounds per square inch on the live duck. The total snake (or surface they were measuring) was then exherting 9000 pounds "of pressure" on this duck.

They were using the common informal English usage of the word "pressure" which is used interchangeably with the word "force". In a more formal context, "pressure" and "force" are two disting quantities. Thus much of the confusion above.

>>You would think the things head would pop right off or it would just explode. I have heard lots of bones cracking from constrictors prey before but 9000 lbs seems like quite a bit.

They got that number by reversing what you did above, except that in this case they are adding up all the forces on all parts of the duck pushing in different directions (multiplying 90 p/si by an estimated 100 si to get 9000 p). The result is a number that sounds impressive but is of almost no real significance. The significant quantity here is the 90 psi.

That does sound like a lot of pressure, but I don't have a feel for how close that is to making the duck's head explode. I have seen eyes literally pop out o the sockets of mice and rats while being constricted...

P.S. Note that in that show Dr. Barr was actually using a pressure gauge attached to an air filled bladder and correctly stating the result in terms of "psi". In his "Bite Force" show, he uses a force gauge and correctly referrs to the result in terms of "pounds". In every other similar show I can think of a force gauge was used and the result incorrectly given in "psi" which makes no sense whatsoever, thus more confusion.

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Oops.. - LarryF, Thu Mar 16 15:10:34 2006

<< Previous Message:  PSI question... - eunectes4, Thu Mar 16 07:25:43 2006