return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

good for the geese but not good for ..

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomous Reptiles ]

Posted by: rattler456 at Wed Mar 29 14:55:01 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by rattler456 ]  

Remember,

Someone's right to responsibly own, purchase, and keep a big cat is just as important as our right to responsibly own, purchase, and keep a venomous snake.

Great White Sharks, Grizzly Bears, Tigers, Eastern Diamondbacks... they can all cause the same damage and one won't make you more or less dead than the other.

Don't forget that not every burmese python ends up a rescue, and not every big cat ends up mauling its owners neighbor. There are those out there who responsibly keep big cats and we shouldn't imply that keeping big cats is bad. Keeping them irresponsibly IS bad. Stereotyping anyone who keeps/buys/sells big cats as irresponsible is just as bad as any other stereotype... would it not be?

The public isn't going to look at keeping venomous snakes any differently than they are going to look at keeping big cats. Look at the proposed laws being passed? does it say keeping hots is ok and big cats isn't? no, it is an across the board ban. period.

What we as keepers need to do is show the public that there are responsible keepers (of any exotic) who benefit the community by having the knowledge, experience, and training. If anything will postpone, if not prevent, the death of this hobby it is showing the public that there is value in keeping them.

Which article would you rather have in the paper about you? one like this or one like ran in the paper after the Spartanburg show? The headline on that one was about a "Show with a bite" and the over-zealous reporter went on to parrot one persons boasting of having "been in a death-struggle with his cobra" while trying to remove an eyecap... sad... sad just plain sad

I say give people the right to sell the big cats, sell the burmese pythons, sell the iguanas, sell the venomous snakes and pass a law making KEEPING THE ANIMALS IRRESPONSIBLY A FELONY., This would at least punish the people who do the wrongful acts and would preserve the rights of the responsible keepers.

Again, I stand by my opinion, someone's right to responsibly keep/sell/buy a big cat is just as important as my right to responsibly keep/sell/buy a venomous snake.

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Try not to misunderstand me - Chance, Wed Mar 29 15:38:28 2006

<< Previous Message:  Depends on what you pay attention to - Chance, Wed Mar 29 14:35:37 2006