return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: How much venom can a shed fang hold?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomous Reptiles ]

Posted by: WW at Thu Mar 30 02:31:50 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by WW ]  

>>To continue a thread that claimed a shed Puff Adder fang could contain enough venom for a serious envenomation.
>>
>>I took a shed Puff Adder fang from a specimen that was 15 to 20 inches long. See image below. This ~1mm fang could only hold ~ 9ul of water at 20 Deg C. Clearly not enough venom to require 8 vials of SAVP Polyvalent to counter-act.

Hi Al,

Glad to see you actually trying it out!

However, how exactly did you measure the quantity of water?

Not trying to be a pain, but looking at that fang next to the ruler, the average thickness of the entire fang is only ~1 mm. This means that the **external** volume of the fang (i.e., tooth material venom canal) is only 10-11 mm cubed, i.e., 10-11 ul.

Clearly, of that volume, a proportion is made up of tooth material, and another proportion is made up of the venom canal. I don't know what the relationship is, but looking again at Klauber's diagram, the diameter of the venom canal is approx. half the diameter of the fang, so the cross-section surface area of the venom duct is 1/4 of the entire fang cross-section surface - in other words, the canal makes up ~ 1/4 of the total external volume of the fang.

Therefore, if the total fang volume is 10 ul, then the volume of the venom canal should be ~ 2.5 ul.

That's why I am curious how you measured the 9ul - these very small quantities of fluid are not easy to measure! It would certainly be worth repeating themeasurements multiple times and get some sort of feeling what your error margins are like.

Cheers,

Wolfgang
-----
WW Home

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: How much venom can a shed fang hold? - phobos, Thu Mar 30 05:44:09 2006

<< Previous Message:  How much venom can a shed fang hold? - phobos, Wed Mar 29 16:48:06 2006 image in post