return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

warning or HELP my problem w/ ins.co.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: SteveM at Thu Mar 30 21:33:02 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by SteveM ]  

Earlier this year I had to make a claim on my home owners insurance. When the adjuster came out I decided I was not going to let him in the snake room but did not think the rat room would be a problem. (I keep a small colony of 8 breeding groups that consist of 1.3 adults and a varying amount of young one’s the total probably never exceeds 100 and is usually more like 50) When the adjuster saw the rats he asked a few questions but did not make much of a deal about it and continued to investigate the source of the claim. So after he left I thought every thing went good and waited to hear about my claim. Well a couple weeks later I get a notice that the insurance company will not renew my policy due to the rats and not only that but they refused the claim which had nothing to do with the rats (I had mold in my attic) They did however say that if I signed a letter saying I got rid of the rats and provided pics of the room showing they were gone they would renew my policy. Now I can’t just say their gone and not really get rid of them because if something were to happen like say I had a fire and they then found evidence of the rats they could refuse the resulting claim because I lied. I also can’t just go get a new policy from another company because the new company would contact the first one and then they to would know of the rats. My insurance broker who I know and trust (he has advised me not to say anything about the snakes) has tried to find me another company but has not been able to find any that accepts rats. So my reason for this post is to 1. Warn any home owners with larger reptile collection and or rats of the possible consequences if you’re “dirty little” secret is found out and 2. To ask if anyone has had the same problem and if so what did you do.
I don’t want to get rid of the rats, I don’t know that I could afford to fed my collection without raising my own rats and I like knowing the rats my snakes eat are getting a quality food not to mention its more convenient especially for the few snakes that won’t eat frozen thawed. To all who took the time to read this long post thank you. This is something that could affect anyone who chooses to keep pets that society as a whole does not accept or fears it’s not right but that’s the way it is. Any advice that does not require guns or bombs would greatly appreciated Thanks again Steve M.

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Any and ALL help apprecieated. - adamrivers, Thu Mar 30 21:45:01 2006
<< Previous topic:  I've got babies too! - LauraV, Thu Mar 30 20:54:03 2006