return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

More than I wanted to say...but...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomous Reptiles ]

Posted by: eunectes4 at Sat Apr 1 10:04:05 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by eunectes4 ]  

I was actually thinking more along the lines of...if the snakes were stolen, this leads me to believe it is somewhat of a residential area. It is not a fair assumption because the post never said anything about this...but I would generally find it abnormal for someone to travel out to an open farm type house and steal snakes. But I guess people do weird things and I do know people who have a lot of expensive machinery and tools which have things stolen by people who have planned it.

If this is the type of case, I would say it really is not a big deal and the comment would be void and I apologize for even adding more thought on the post.

Now, back to if this is somewhat a residential area...

Animals in cages are something people are attracted to and most people think of children first when these issues come up. So this case would be seen like a pool without a fence. I have no idea what the likelihood of a child (or anyone) in his area seeing the enclosures and being attracted to them is...but I would guess there is a chance.

This is why we have laws on "strict liability." When you are dealing with anything extremely dangerous like venomous snakes. The law requires you to take ANY blame for an incident which occurs. This helps assure people take an appropriate amount of seriousness with such issues. People doing demolition work on buildings is a prime example of this. If a person is hurt in ANY way, the company takes all fault and pays (could be a lot too).

Since this GOOD law seems to not be working, the government then will look to see if the activity is necessary for the common good of the public when passing further regulations. With a demolition company...we use and need construction all the time. With a person being able to privately keep venomous snakes...not so much in the general interest of public good. Therefore a BAN is then placed to take care of the matter after the original guidelines did not work.

And we wonder why we lose freedom everyday.

I did not want to say anything on this topic because I didn't want to offend someone I didn't know. But this really is why more and more states are banning snakes...people do not take them as seriously as they should.

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: More than I wanted to say...but... - psilocybe, Sat Apr 1 22:31:20 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: Stolen hots in Atlanta, GA - yoyoing, Fri Mar 31 20:45:36 2006