return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Basilisk . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Garter Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Rattlesnake Vaccine

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomous Reptiles ]

Posted by: krz at Fri Apr 7 13:01:14 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by krz ]  

The rattlesnake vaccine is made by using a toxoid to immunize the dog. A toxoid is a toxin that has been altered in some way to not cause the same biological reaction (ie toxic effects) but still cause the same immune response in the animal. It does not mean that the dog will not need antivenom, but the vaccine may provide some protection in the case of a bite. 'Protection' means that the symptoms and effects can be less severe, and that less antivenom or maybe none will be needed. Because each bite is different, it is impossible to say what exactly may happen if your dog got bit, SO YOU SHOULD STILL TAKE YOUR DOG TO THE VET IF A BITTE OCCURS. If I lived out west in an area where rattlesnakes were common, and my dog spent a lot of time outside, I would probably do it.
I really like the fucosi site, but that is not current research being done on human vaccines. It is a synopsis of the old work done in Japan on a habu toxoid, which is not in use because it was deemed too dangerous for human use. The entire site seems to be a collection of papers and references on a wide variety of topics, and snake antivenoms are just one of the topics covered. Glenn and Straight actually tried to make a human vaccine (again using a toxoid, not raw venom) years ago, but stopped because it was deemed to be too risky and expensive to be feasible.
-Kristen Wiley
KY Reptile Zoo

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Rattlesnake Vaccine - Deuce, Fri Apr 7 19:58:28 2006

<< Previous Message:  Rattlesnake Vaccine - bthacker, Thu Apr 6 19:38:53 2006