return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Mother's Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: I totally disagree

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: kirby at Sun Apr 9 21:46:05 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kirby ]  

The point you are missing is that the person who makes the hets doesn't have the right to name the morph. Yes Jeremy would be out of luck. He came up with a name for marketing and because he resonably assumed since he produced the first dhets that he would likely produce the first visual morph. If someone else produced the snow with the type 2 anery they could call it anything they want. A different name would not change the genetics of the double hets. Furthermore, since no one has produced a blizzard yet any new morph could be named a Blizzard; note I am not advocating this but it is a usefull example.

Following your line of reasoning Frank should be able to name the hypo snow because he made the triple het that was critical to the production of the animal. Or anyone else who made triple hets in 03 or 04. This is the problem with having people who produce the hets name the morph.

The triple hets made a hypo snow. They didn't make a snowglow. The snowglow only exists if and when the first person who produces the animal names the morph that; until then it is only an idea. Again using the Blizzard example those dhets are only double het for Blizzard if the visual morph is produced and it is named a Blizzard. What if those dhets never produce a snow(Blizzard)? Are they still dhet for Blizzard?

There could only be a consensus about the name if the people who could produce the morph first all agreed to use a given name once the first visual morph was produced. Obviously that was not the case here. Neither Justin or Marc or anyone else was under any obligation to name the visual morph a snowglow.

Bill Kirby

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: I totally disagree - DaveyFig, Sun Apr 9 22:13:08 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: Bill, I respectfully disagree here.. - Jeremy Stone, Mon Apr 10 00:40:47 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: I totally disagree.... - DaveyFig, Sun Apr 9 16:05:46 2006