return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

A final tally plus some info.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: JohnLokken at Mon Apr 17 23:53:26 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by JohnLokken ]  

info/experience.

There were 13 babies and about 15 slugs. 2 babies died.
Total=3 50/50's normal het anery
8 50/50's hypo het anery

I have to give a big plug for Tracy and Rich's boa breeding video.
It just skimmed the issue that I ran into. But, it gave me the idea to work with.
All these babies were premature. I honestly did not think any were going to make it. I placed each baby in it's own deli cup with a half in of water. I was trying to create a "membrane sack" they could stay in while sucking up their yolk sack. The video went over this. I don't think it spoke to the water addition. The video spoke to cutting the yolk sack off if it was out more than a day. I really thought about doing this. But, then I talked it over with my wife and decided not to. We were at the point where we were going to buy some dissolving sutures. I also had issues with tying the knot around the umbilical cord. I did not think I would be able to catch the dental floss before it went into it's belly. Or, I would cut the cord trying to cut the dental floss.
So, I left them in their deli cup. I changed the water 2-3 times a day. Gently transferring them to a new cup each time. I then left them in my sweater rack. (The drawer rack really came in handy. I don't know if I could have pulled this off without them.) After a day to two days the babies began crawling out of their deli cups. Others just stayed put. I just had the last one get out and join the others tonight. Some babies sucked up their egg mass. Others naturally pulled it off.
I guess the moral of the story is don't give up. Nature took it's course. I was lucky in the fact that their lungs were developed. My very first litter died because they were too dropped too early.
Hopefully this will help others. Again a thank you to Tracy and Rich for the idea.
John
Sorry for the typos. It's late and I'm ready for bed. Thank you all for all your kind comments.
-----
"To be the best..........You must lose your mind."

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Thanks for the info John - Hypoboa1, Tue Apr 18 10:32:47 2006

<< Previous Message:  A couple keepers from my - JohnLokken, Mon Apr 17 21:35:32 2006