return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

A final tally plus some info.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: JohnLokken at Mon Apr 17 23:53:26 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by JohnLokken ]  

info/experience.

There were 13 babies and about 15 slugs. 2 babies died.
Total=3 50/50's normal het anery
8 50/50's hypo het anery

I have to give a big plug for Tracy and Rich's boa breeding video.
It just skimmed the issue that I ran into. But, it gave me the idea to work with.
All these babies were premature. I honestly did not think any were going to make it. I placed each baby in it's own deli cup with a half in of water. I was trying to create a "membrane sack" they could stay in while sucking up their yolk sack. The video went over this. I don't think it spoke to the water addition. The video spoke to cutting the yolk sack off if it was out more than a day. I really thought about doing this. But, then I talked it over with my wife and decided not to. We were at the point where we were going to buy some dissolving sutures. I also had issues with tying the knot around the umbilical cord. I did not think I would be able to catch the dental floss before it went into it's belly. Or, I would cut the cord trying to cut the dental floss.
So, I left them in their deli cup. I changed the water 2-3 times a day. Gently transferring them to a new cup each time. I then left them in my sweater rack. (The drawer rack really came in handy. I don't know if I could have pulled this off without them.) After a day to two days the babies began crawling out of their deli cups. Others just stayed put. I just had the last one get out and join the others tonight. Some babies sucked up their egg mass. Others naturally pulled it off.
I guess the moral of the story is don't give up. Nature took it's course. I was lucky in the fact that their lungs were developed. My very first litter died because they were too dropped too early.
Hopefully this will help others. Again a thank you to Tracy and Rich for the idea.
John
Sorry for the typos. It's late and I'm ready for bed. Thank you all for all your kind comments.
-----
"To be the best..........You must lose your mind."

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  SUPER ARABESQUE....PICS - toine, Tue Apr 18 07:18:29 2006
<< Previous topic:  Tell me what you think..... - mavericksdad, Mon Apr 17 23:40:31 2006