return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fire Skink . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Nov 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Anyone keep BD's in Boa type cagin

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bearded Dragons ]

Posted by: jewelsdragons at Sun Apr 23 12:11:13 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jewelsdragons ]  

I am currently using the old style boamaster cages for my some of my beardies. I prefer taller cages but these will work. The ceiling height is about 15 inches. On one side of the tank mounted to the ceiling but by the back wall I mounted a 24 inch florecent fixture. To the right of that, again by the back wall,I mounted a the ceramic screw-in type fixture. On the side with the florecent fixture I built a cave using two bricks and a piece of natural slate (Home Depot)for the top. For the ceramic fixture I use a 40 watt natural light spot bulb. Under that laying flat on the floor of the cage I use another full size piece of slate to create a nice warming area. Even though the florecent fixture can be used for your UVB I find that the dragons won't bask close enough to it so I mounted one more ceramic fixture on the same side as the spot bulb, closer to the front of the cage, but instead of it coming out of the ceiling it is mounted sideways attached to the wall but close to the ceiling. I put a compact florecent UVB bulb in that. While the dragons are basking they absorb the UVB from the compact bulb. Currently I use the UVB MYstic bulb from big Apple Herps but it only stays on for two, one hour periods because it is VERY strong.

The only other thig you will need to do is cover the vent holes with screening. The crickets can climb the walls and get out before they ae eaten.

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Natural Sunlight Question. - LizardSmoke, Fri Apr 21 15:47:37 2006
<< Previous topic:  Set the record straight please!?!?!? - mkco79, Thu Apr 20 15:49:43 2006