return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Question for Retic Keepers. . . .

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Reticulated Pythons ]

Posted by: RaverTanker at Fri Jun 2 03:57:24 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by RaverTanker ]  

Are you sure it is a feeding response when your burms come forward? Mine do that too, but I think it is just out of curiosity. Just a few thoughts on their respective intelligences - The retics "alertness" could be seen as nervousness of not being certain about their surroundings. I think a burm's brain has more of a capacity to process and remember what is and is not a threat, which would lead to their docile and amiable personality, being displayed in the form of greater interaction in their environment as a result of their certainty in their environment. With my retics, you sometimes have to tap them with the snake hook before they even move, which to me indicates a mental level that does not show interest in their surroundings unless it confronts them first. When I let my burms out, they explore the whole room, but my retics just try and find a hiding spot and remain there until I move them. Even my nicer retics sometimes try to evade being taken out of their cage, but my burms come up toward me and embrace getting to come out. They just seem more intelligent to me. I would put a burms feeding response against a retics any day though. My little ones (3 feet) will strike at their 7th mouse as forociously as their 1st, even after an overstuffed belly, whereas my retics often leave prey when they are just full. My 4 foot burm eats 3 jumbo rats when my 6 foot retic only eats 2. Of the few rocks I have seen, "moody" is an understatement. They continually bit the glove, thrashed their body around and crapped all over the place. They were juvi's though, so that could explain it. I could just see that attitude remaining over time if not expertly tamed out. I would recommend a burm and a retic before a rock, definitely. These are just my experiences though and every snake has it's own personality and quirks. I would agree with others here that respect, caution and slow and deliberate movements should ALWAYS be employed when handling these snakes, even if they are small, because a bad handling incident could affect an animals attitude for years to come.

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Share a pic! - tibor, Thu Jun 1 19:57:35 2006
<< Previous topic:  Breeding Question - RaverTanker, Mon May 29 18:24:56 2006