return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Question for Retic Keepers. . . .

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Reticulated Pythons ]

Posted by: sonoranreptile at Fri Jun 2 10:14:48 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by sonoranreptile ]  

#1) Out of all of the giant snakes you have owned, WHICH one type has been the most consistantly gentle and responsive?
--I have kept more Burmese pythons than Reticulated in my collection over the past 12 or so years. I also worked at an exotic pet store and was in charge of the reptiles for 6+ years there. In all of the giant constrictors, it is my opinion that Burmese pythons are the more "gentle" of the 2 in question. For the giants that I have raised from a baby into adulthood, the Burms I have owned have always been more trustworthy. I have a 6.5 year old female albino green named "carmela" and have had her since she was 4 weeks old; she has NEVER offered to bite and has NEVER struck at the glass in her cage when food was in the room or just after eating. ALL of the retics I have owned have done so. But in saying that, the 2 retics that I have now (a super and a normal from Baldogo tiger parents) are dog tame outside of their cage, and the male normal is really turing into a lapdog.
I also think it really depends on how they are raised (like any other animal). Handle them as much as you can for the first 6 months you have them and I believe you will be well rewarded with great pets either way.

#2) Are Tigers/Supertigers from established well known bloodlines really that much more tame and calm than , say Yellowhead that are c/b or silvers that are c/b or albino lavenders that are captive bred, or Jampeas?
From people who have owned animals rom the original Tiger line and who have owned others (including me), I believe you have a better chance of having a tame animal from this bloodline. The only c.b. Jampea I have had came from the Baldogos as well and she was very tame once out of her cage. I had her for 5 years and never had problems with her. You just have to understand retic behaviour. The only albinos I have ever worked with were at the pet shop I worked at, and they were not tame. We received them when they were 4 months old, so I don't know how they were handled before that. I do know they would not hesitate to bite.

In my opinion, if you want a giant, get a Burmese python. If you have your heart set on a retic (which I think you do, LOL!), then get a normal silver from original Tiger bloodlines. I think this will give you the best chance at owning a TRUE gentle giant.

-----
Derek Roberts
Sonoran Reptile Breeders
sonoranreptile@cox.net
"I remember the first war, the way the sky burned
The faces of angels destroyed
I saw a third of Heaven's legion banished
And the creation of hell
I stood with my brothers and watched lucifer fall
But now, my brothers aren't my brothers" -- Zao

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Question for Retic Keepers. . . . - RaverTanker, Fri Jun 2 11:27:03 2006

<< Previous Message:  Question for Retic Keepers. . . . - fred albury, Wed May 31 14:34:46 2006