return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

a different perspective

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Reticulated Pythons ]

Posted by: okreptilerescue at Fri Jun 2 16:27:42 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by okreptilerescue ]  

I have a rescue. we usually take any giant snake. (i do mean any, if we have room, meaning temperment isnt an issue) There are no rescues in the surrounding states that will accept the challenge of a pissed off, abused, usually starved 20 ft anything. I haven't had any experience with albino or super tiger retics. i have had a few regulars and a few tigers. i've had reg burms and albinos. I have one reg burm that once raised up at my husband to eye level (he's 6 ft and a few inches) that was quite a site to see. he didnt hiss or strike and when i stopped laughing i picked up the part of his body still on the ground and he lowered back down and i put him in the cage while my hubby went potty. (lol). I think the burms are a little 'dumber' (im not saying theyre dumb, just that the retics seem more aware) I've also found that burms have been easier to tame back down after being abused or starved or what not. in general the burms come to me in worse condition than the retics so i dont think its a matter of 'that one had a better history so it tames faster'. i spend equal time with each, no matter what condiditon in. i let the 'worst' case determine the time spent on the rest. so that isnt really an issue either.
i love burms and i love retics. i prefer the burms b/c they are lazier. they arent ever as strong as the retics (which little 150 lb me likes as well) they dont need near the caging as a retic the same size (although they usually get it anyway. i've never been bit by a rescued burm or retic. they strike but im smaller and faster than them. they've never tried to get me when im feeding. all our snakes come out of thier cages and go in the back yard for dinner and after about 30 minutes, they're ready to be picked up and put back. (it takes a weekend to feed everyone) i've adopted out most of the burms and retics we've gotten. we're currently down to one burm that we will be keeping (the one that raised up at my husband, hehehe) and we're anxiously awaiting the arrival of a 20 ft burm and a 23 ft retic from someone in TN thats going to Iraq. the people i adopt to havent ever had a problem with them and i'm still in contact with all of them (they gotta get food somewhere). just thought id give a different perspective. the rescues we get are 95 % cranky and want your face for a snack, they leave here tame and happy or they dont leave at all.
Beth
-----
The rescue site: www.freewebs.com/okreptilerescue

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: a different perspective - sonoranreptile, Fri Jun 2 17:22:07 2006 image in post

<< Previous Message:  Question for Retic Keepers. . . . - fred albury, Wed May 31 14:34:46 2006