return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

LOST IN TRANSLATION

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tortoises ]

Posted by: zovick at Thu Jun 8 10:05:36 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by zovick ]  

Hello Folks,

I have to put in two cents' worth here in my own defense. First, some of my Burmese Star Tortoise Care Sheet information has been misquoted, but I do indeed feed some items which other people consider taboo. I have been doing so for over 40 years and have had relatively good success with my tortoises.

The main thing I wish to impress upon readers is that a varied diet is the key to keeping these animals healthy, and nothing should be fed as a constant routine lest it have ill effects.

I think that many of the statements I see made on this forum are based on hearsay rather than the writers' actual experience. Throughout my tortoise keeping life, I have never believed husbandry advice stated by anyone with less experience than I have myself. If I try something and it doesn't work, then I will make corrections. That mindset has resulted in several discoveries, especially in regard to egg incubation in some species which heretofore had proven extremely difficult to hatch.

Using the diets which you will see below, I have hatched roughly 150 Burmese Stars, and 350 G. elegans (of both types) in the past ten years from breeding groups of less than a dozen adults. The numbers of offspring include TWO generations of Sri Lankan Stars. I have also hatched two generations of Radiated Tortoises and am working on the third. Obviously, if one can hatch a tortoise and raise it to the point where it becomes a succeful breeder itself, something is working. Kale, cabbage, apples, and other fruits have not inhibited the breeding of these tortoises nor adversely affected their health or that of their offspring, because all things are varied and are used in moderation, not as a constant diet. Readers will also notice that no commercial tortoise diets are used.

Here is the text of the misquoted Care Sheet which I hope some readers will find useful:

"There is no tortoise in the world more beautiful and aesthetically pleasing than Geochelone platynota, the Burmese Star Tortoise. For this reason, I have dedicated myself to their captive propagation in the event that the final conservation efforts for this species in the wild should fail.

Burmese Star Tortoises are extremely hardy and are very easy keepers. In their natural habitat, temperatures range from 38° F in the winter to well over 100° F in the summer. In captivity, mine have been maintained indoors at 87° F from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM, after which the temperature is allowed to drop into the mid 70°s F for the night. At about 7:00 AM, my thermostat senses the ambient temperature and raises it gradually to 87° F by 10:00 AM. When outside, the tortoises have been exposed to temperatures as low as 45° F with no adverse effects.

My tortoises are fed all manner of fruits and vegetables daily while indoors in the winter. The adult tortoises’ staple foods are escarole, kale, string beans, and apples. Babies are fed the same diet with the foods being finely chopped or grated for them. Additionally, for the babies, I often use commercially available premixed salads, such as Dole Field Greens, Classic Salad, Italian Blend, or European Blend, etc. The young tortoises also enjoy the addition of chopped or halved mushrooms to their diet. Food is sprinkled with both Ultra Fine Rep-Cal and Herptevite 3 to 4 times weekly. In the summer months the tortoises are left outside and fend for themselves, grazing on grasses, clover, and other greenery.

Lighting for my tortoises when indoors is provided by a dual bulb fluorescent fixture with one Verilux tube and one Reptisun 7% UVB tube for approximately 15 hours daily. The young Star Tortoises should be soaked every 2 or 3 days when kept indoors and weekly when outdoors. The adult Star Tortoises require less water and are soaked once or twice monthly. Substrate may vary according to regional availability. My personal choice is Eucalyptus mulch."

I wish all readers good luck with their tortoises.

Bill Zovickian

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: LOST IN TRANSLATION - columbia, Thu Jun 8 12:11:35 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: LOST IN TRANSLATION - ScottE, Thu Jun 8 12:34:03 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: Total Burmese Stars: 10 and counting - ScottE, Thu Jun 8 08:12:14 2006