return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Garter Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Link to AVMA euthanasia report

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: slithering_serpents at Wed Jun 14 19:17:51 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by slithering_serpents ]  

Interesting report, if you have the stomach for it, thanks for posting it. Is that the latest report from the AVMA? It said a few pertinent things:

As for decapitation, 2nd column, P.687, 2nd paragraph (physical methods), it says after decapitation other animals die from stopping of the blood supply. In reptiles it says after decapitation you have to pith them as well, because reptiles have more tolerance for "hypoxic and hypotensive conditions." In other words they don't necessarily die from being decapitated, you have to physically turn their brain to mush with an nstrument in their cranial cavity, after you cut their heads off, for them to die.

As for freesing, 2nd column, P.687, 2nd to the last paragraph (cooling), it says that even cooling reptiles to make them immobile is considered "inapropriate and inhumane", and freezing them is "not recommended".

It also says that CO2 is ok in the right proportions. It does say that consciousness is rapid but death may be prolonged in reptiles.

Certainly don't bash the head in of a reptile or any animal to kill it, don't cut their heads off unless you know how to and are willing to immediately pith them, and don't freeze them. These are inhumane. I understand you can buy a CO2 canister everywhere paintball supplies are sold. Me personally, I am going to the vet. I think you should too. But, if you are not going to do that please get the CO2 method happening.

Caden

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Large Pupils - BoaGuy77, Wed Jun 14 14:43:31 2006
<< Previous topic:  Pastel produced by Chris Canada Smith - boaphile, Wed Jun 14 11:02:50 2006