return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Nov 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Meany

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Reticulated Pythons ]

Posted by: okreptilerescue at Fri Jun 16 10:57:13 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by okreptilerescue ]  

lol. yha... I dont know how big they are but if theyre small enough to maybe hold with one hand. what i've done before is hold them behind thier heads so they cant bite you and while youre watching tv or something, put them up at face level so they're looking at you but cant 'get you'. I dont know why this works and i'm sure someone will tell me it doesnt work but it does.... if they aren't small enough to really hold like that, give them a really good meal, perhaps a little larger than normal and after 2 or 3 days or when the lump goes down, take them out maybe in your yard (if you can) and just let them cruise around- it wears them out if they've been caged too small before you got them, they arent used to the exercise, then try to pick them up, if they seem a little jumpy you may kneel down near the back of the snake and just gently rub, they'll probably hiss and hiss and hiss but it gets them used to being touched. if they're still moody, put them back and do it again in a few days (not the food, just the exercise and rubbing). If they seem a little more mellow, try picking up the snake and sit down on your steps or in a lawn chair and put the snakes body over your legs and let them crawl over your legs while youre rubbing them and then when you get to the end of the snake, move them back and do it again until you get worn out. :D sounds incredibly boring and it usually is but thats what i do and it seems to work pretty fast. hope that helped- maybe someone else can help more but keep in mind THEY'RE RETICS- not always the nicest of snakes but i've never had one that flat out couldn't be tamed down.
beth
-----
The rescue site: www.freewebs.com/okreptilerescue

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Meany - hogdaze, Fri Jun 16 12:05:42 2006

<< Previous Message:  Meany - hogdaze, Fri Jun 16 08:36:05 2006