return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: You must realize

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ]

Posted by: mmanago at Fri Jun 30 12:24:52 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mmanago ]  

Regarding monitors knowing that a light bulb is not the sun...

Doesn't the light from a light bulb create stimuli that would trigger, maybe, day behavior over night time behavior? I am not saying that a light bulb even compares to the rays of the sun, but just in the sense of stimuli. Obviously everything we put into a cage is there to serve some sort of purpose to represent a physiological need they have in nature. Do you not think it would be beneficial to try to replicate as closely as possible the stimuli, such as light, that they would receive in nature.

I am aware that these are captive animals, not wild animals and the conditions are different, but some of us keep these animals to see these neat natural behaviors in our homes. I certainly do not want to condition my animals to not display natural behaviors, what is the fun in that; otherwise I might as well keep a Chia Pet.

With a 24/7 cycle it seems it could hinder certain behaviors that monitors may display in the open if there wasn’t light. I understand what you are saying in regards to

“24/7 provides them with choices. And they do use those choices. And they use them to their benefit.”

But wouldn’t a 12/12 or other combination actually provide them with more choices, like cruising around without the light in their eyes at certain times of the day and then times of the day to cruise with light.

”In captivity monitors should have dark hiding places available 24/7. They should never be held in a cage where they cannot hide. So, when provided dark hiding places, it does not matter when the lites are on. They should be able to get away from lite at any time they wish. No matter what the lite cycle is.”

I completely agree with the beginning portion of this statement, but I also think that if the lights are on 24/7 they may be forced to go into a burrow when say they want to be out and about but just not with a light source on.

I am not suggesting to not provide a heat source. Another option that allows you to provide night time heat as well as cover of darkness is to provide same wattage night bulbs in place of day bulbs. This will provide heart and basking spots as well as security and the natural ambient temp drop, that will allow night time temps to drop but no different than the same wattage day bulb would drop. Timers are cheap and easy to set up, making it no inconvenience to you. I do not buy into the “moon luminance” these bulbs advertise, but I they are the same price as day bulbs from Home Depot when purchased in bulk.

Boy that turned into a ramble…
Just a thought.

Cheers,
Michaela

www.roughneckmonitors.com

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: You must realize - FR, Fri Jun 30 15:44:49 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: You must realize - varanuskaouthia, Fri Jun 30 20:48:56 2006
>> Next Message:  I like the post Sam Sweet made a while.. - SHvar, Sat Jul 1 09:41:07 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: You must realize - FR, Thu Jun 29 23:19:00 2006