return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

about lite

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ]

Posted by: FR at Sat Jul 1 16:55:39 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

As you may know, we have monitors with access to natural lite. If they have a choice of basking lites or the sun, they always choose litebulbs over the sun. We have outdoor cages with both.

Also of interest, monitors seem to be almost blind in bright sun(midday sun here), they can pick out movement, but not objects. When Jefe and Rsg came over, I would show them. They cannot tell the difference between a shadow and a mouse. Inside and with low litor litebulbs, they know the difference.

On another note. I often bring this up when having this conversation. Most snakes here, and snakes and monitors in the hotter areas of the world, go down into very deep burrows/holes/crevices. They go into areas of constant dark and constant temps. With this in mind, how do they know its day or night? They do.

They not only know its day or night, they know the weather conditions. If its cloudy or raining. They know this from places they cannot see out.

For instance, once we dug up an ackie. Its burrow was over a meter deep and three meters long. It went thru roots and boulders and back and forth. Consider this is a small monitor, what do larger monitors do?

While they spend time close to the surface, they also spend time deep deep in burrows.

Don't ask me how they know, they just know.

Which leads to the final point. Most including academics, get lost in the how they know something. Then working on, what they are doing. What confuses many, including academics, is I do not care how they actually do something, I care about what they do and the timing and sequence of what they do.

Again consider, how they do something is of great interest to science, for many reasons. But of little use with husbandry, what they do is of prime importance. What they do is behavior, a very weak area in science. Cheers

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Dang this was suppose - FR, Sat Jul 1 19:31:45 2006