return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: HANDLING (not taming!) and other stuff

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ]

Posted by: phantompoo at Sun Jul 2 17:55:15 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by phantompoo ]  

nice post,

i just wanted to second the notion of being careful when handling your monitor

I soak my ackies periodically, and they used to hate it at first and got a little stressed (the dont seem to mind it now). upon putting them back in the cage, one snapped me good and "pig-dogged"(thats when they bite and keep digging and twisting their teeth in) my finger for about a minute before i could get nextdoor and get some vinegar to get him off my finger(cold water did nothing). what an intense pain and jaw pressure, and mind you, it was barely 12 inches at the time.

There was a quite a bit of blood too

the point here is, what a fool i am. I used to have a blackthroat and when he was about 2.5 feet long i used let him climb on my shoulder unrestrained. Thank god he didnt decide my neck or my ear was food or that i was a threat

i couldn't even imagine the damage it could have done if it wanted.

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  HANDLING (not taming!) and other stuff - -Holly-, Sat Jul 1 23:04:15 2006