return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Alligator Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - June 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - July 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - July 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - July 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - July 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - July 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - July 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Hi!...new here...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ]

Posted by: Paradon at Sun Jul 2 18:38:18 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Paradon ]  

Hey, welcome! I know wild caught one can be a pain. Mine is very shy, and he won't eat infront of me. I have to go hide somewhere before he swallow a pinkie. If he's really hungry, he'll take some crickets and down that thing in a giffy. I bought mine at a local petstore, and he was very skinny when I got him. That's why I'm feeding him pinky to try to fatten him up. The girl at the petstore said he is a captive bred, but I don't believe her because he is awfully shy when it comes to feeding, only take food down when noone is looking, and he was pretty cheap for Savy around here. Recently, I figure out a way to get him to eat a pinky. I know some people may have a problem with it...being I get bitten, but that's the risk I'm willing to take if it means getting my savannah monitor to eat. And this little guy is kindda on the docile side for a wild caught. I'm not scare of being bitten...I've gotten bitten by tokay, turtle (I was hand feeding my red-eared slider and he bit my finger instead of the food ), and dogs, but I don't mine. What I do is I try to get him to open his mouth my gently pushing doward on his lower lips, and when he opens his mouth, I put the pinky in it. He would closed his mouth immediately, and I'd put him down and walk away...leaving him to eat at his leasure. So far I fed him 2 pinkies in the last couple days, and he is looking lively already.

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: I’m going to come to your house... - -Holly-, Mon Jul 3 00:16:05 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: Hi!...new here... - tatbeesh, Mon Jul 3 10:45:23 2006

<< Previous Message:  Hi!...new here... - mavericksdad, Sun Jul 2 14:36:19 2006