return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Pine Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Glass Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - July 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - July 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - July 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - July 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - July 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - July 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - July 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - July 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - July 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Thanks April....(more)

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: Amanda_Burke at Wed Jul 12 15:13:38 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Amanda_Burke ]  

I do know of a few litters of black tail anery to black tail anery and those litters resulted in an entire litter of what we are calling black tail anery's. I don't know of any het black tail to het black tail litters, but I would be very interested to see what the results of a breeding like that would be.
The problem with both of those breedings as I see it, however, is that while an entire litter of black tail boas as a result of breeding black tail to black tail would be an indication that the look is some type of recessive gene, it doesn't prove that the gene is Anerytherism. Neither does the het to het breeding. That breeding would in my opinion, prove that the gene is recessive if 25% of the litter were black tails, however, it still doesn't tell us what the black tail actually is. Is it Anerytheristic? Is it Hypermelanistic? Is it Axanthic? Does this make sense?
This is why I think that the best way to prove that the Black Tails are in fact Anerytheristic is to either produce a Blizzard or a Ghost with them. The Ghost would be the easier route to go because the odds of having one of those in a litter are better than 1 in 16. But, these breedings would prove anerytherism because they would take away other colors that could otherwise mask red in these boas. So, for example, producing a Ghost with the black tail would take away the black, allowing us to see if there is any red underneath there hiding somewhere. lol
On the other hand, if the Black tails are Hypermelanistic, rather than Anerytheristic, we would have different results. In Blizzard breedings, for example, we might see albinos that are more white in appearance because the heavier concentration of Black in the Black tails would be removed in an albino, leaving more white. However, the lack of Anerytherism (if the Black Tail isn't an anery) would still leave red, so we would see Albinos that are high white, but we would not ever get a Blizzard.
This is partly speculation but I have done alot of thinking about it over the years while we have waited for these various litters, and this is what I have come up with! lol
Again, I'd love to hear any and all feedback on this!
-----
Amanda Burke
Email
Burke Reptiles Website

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Thanks April....(more) - Paul Hollander, Wed Jul 12 19:17:58 2006

<< Previous Message:  great post! - AbsoluteApril, Wed Jul 12 12:56:01 2006