return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Whatever happenned to that loser?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: Bryant_King at Fri Jul 14 23:09:17 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Bryant_King ]  

I have always suspected that the yellow tail and black tail anerythristics were different forms of anerythrism. That was the entire basis for Ben Siegel and I dubbing the type 2 anerythristics. Years ago, after reading corn snake sites and considering blizzard corns, we speculated there might be Type B (we accidentally called them Type 2's) anerythristic boas.

The black tails are anerythristic, not hypermelanistic, or else you would see red on at least one of the three places you look to tell an anery Central American from a dark normal. You look on the tail, just behind the head on the top of the neck, and the belly. If the black tails were just increase melanin, red should still be present.

As I read your post, I pondered if there was any chance I introduced a different male to the females thereby producing unusual results. I really don't think that happened, although it was many years ago.

I believe you will prove to have two different forms of anerythrism. I would have to go back and re-read some good biochemistry information on pigments before I could speculate how that might occur. Fun stuff!

I so wish I could get back into snakes, but my free time is too sporadic and my animal husbandry would turn into neglect. Customer service would be miserable too with other time commitments. That is what forced me to give up my reptiles before, and what is keeping me out now. Now I spend all of my time fostering and adopting kids while trying to keep my business afloat. The kids need me and there is no better reason that I can think of to help them, dentistry usually pays the bills, but I really miss the reptiles. I used to stay up hours writing on-line about boas just for the fun of it. You won't find me staying up late talking about teeth. Kids...yes, teeth...no. Maybe one of the kids will take an interest in reptiles.

Just lurking,

Bryant King

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RESIZED Type II Anery Post.... - Amanda_Burke, Wed Jul 12 11:01:46 2006