return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Am I the only paranoid one?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: boaphile at Tue Jul 25 09:51:40 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by boaphile ]  

Am I the only paranoid one?

OK, so I have been breeding Boas for a while. A long while. More than 20 years. I have produced quite a few animals and yet... Every single time I feed my animals, while I have females gravid, I am always a little weirded out fearing that something bad could happen with one of my gravid females while I'm feeding the other animals. Does anyone else worry about this? Now mind you, nothing has ever happened of a negative nature ever. It just has never happened. But! I still worry about it. I mean think about it. In the wild, Boas are never subject to the intense aroma of FOOD that they are subject to in captivity. A single animal that happens by in the wild, with the whole wide world to dilute the smell, means that the intensity of that smell is so minute, there is no way we could smell it. Now fast forward to my place. I'm dragging about a 30 gallon trash can half filled with fresh killed rats. About 200 of them at a crack and there is absolutely no missing the pungent odor that permeates every cell of my body. It STINKS! So the smell is overwhelming! Now, the gravid animals that are due soon are not fed. This though most would happily take a rat of two. So I worry they will do something wrong or that in the excitement of smelling all those tasty morsels that they might hurt themselves banging on the door or that they may deliver their unborn babies prematurely.

Nothing of this sort has ever happened. Ever. I have never had a female give birth on the day of feeding. That just has not happened either. I have had a female give birth the day after feeding everyone else. So nothing bad has ever happened. I don't think it will but, I still find myself worrying about it. Does anyone else do this?

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Scarlet: 8' 55lbs of monster boa.... - mavericksdad, Tue Jul 25 15:29:47 2006
<< Previous topic:  terrible thing happened.. - pyboa, Tue Jul 25 00:09:06 2006