return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Baby Premie Snow Boa Didn't Make It...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: JJsBoas at Sat Aug 19 17:47:02 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by JJsBoas ]  

Hey everyone,

I came home last night to find that my surprise snow boa, born amongst a litter of anerys and hets, passed away I'm still not sure exactly sure what the sex was, but I'm fairly positive it was a female. So I guess she just couldn't handle being born that premature, with a large amount of yolk externally and internally still needed to absorb. Pretty bummed out about her loss. She was also a very tiny little thing. I think she barely passed the one foot mark in length. I kinda noticed she was a acting a bit more lethargic the day before, compared to when she was first born. But I still held on to some hope for her. Oh well, can't win them all, I guess. At least I now know that any large external yolk should be tied off within a day after birth. That was some great advice that I was very glad to receive from some of you. I hope that it never happens again (knock on wood), but if it does, I now know exactly what to do and I won't be as nervous doing it. The tied off section actually did dry up and fall off on its own the day before, so like some of you said, I don't think tying the excess yolk and cutting it off led to her demise. Who knows?

Looking on the bright side of things, I've had a pretty fun time during this boa breeding season. Had 4 great, healthy litters <> Being a small time local So Cal breeder, I've had a blast sorting through about a hundred baby boas this year. And I still have a nice big group of anerys to sort thru and decide which ones I want to hold onto. By far, the anery gene remains my favorite morph. I just love the look of a nice clean anery boa.

Plus I guess I can safely assume that the momma of the litter is a proven Anery Het Snow? Am I safe in assuming that, considering that little snow popped up in the litter? Would this make the litter poss. dh snow then? Not sure exactly how to label these guys. Honestly, the labeling is the least of my worries because I've got another 18 extra baby boa mouths to feed over here. Fun times for me, despite the disappointment from yesterday's passing.

Well, I just thought you all would want to hear the news from me, though it is a bit depressing. Again, thank you all for your support, advice, and info during this ordeal.

All the best to you all,

Jay

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  SORRY TO HEAR THAT!!!! - sreps, Sat Aug 19 17:54:06 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: Baby Premie Snow Boa Didn't Make It... - vcaruso15, Sat Aug 19 18:01:17 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: Baby Premie Snow Boa Didn't Make It... - fhuici, Sat Aug 19 18:45:48 2006
>> Next Message:  sorry hon! - begunwithaletter, Sat Aug 19 18:55:37 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: Baby Premie Snow Boa Didn't Make It... - Shane Kinney, Sat Aug 19 20:25:25 2006